Visitors, Welcome!

Follow us for Tips, Recipes, and Fun!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, America!


“There are those, I know, who will say that the liberation of humanity, the freedom of man and mind, is nothing but a dream. They are right. It is. It is the American dream.”
Archibald MacLeish

On this July 4th, the 235th birthday of our nation, I am extremely grateful for all of the freedoms that we enjoy. Hopefully, the American dream is alive and well. To celebrate, our family will have a “Happy Birthday America” party.
My husband is the star of this holiday, as we enjoy the food that he grills, the homemade ice cream that he churns and the fireworks display in our neighborhood to which he contributes.
I do get to “set the table” and there is no question about the colors I choose – the traditional red, white and blue!


First I used a white tablecloth and layered red, white and blue placemats with stars on top.



Next, the dinnerware was added – red “Louisa” plates, then Johnson Brothers’ blue and white “Asiatic Pheasant” plates.


Coventry “Liberty” salad plates went next. I used them as an under plate for the ice cream bowls, which will hold my husband’s yummy dessert. Red, white and blue sprinkles usually top the ice cream, which adds to the Americana theme.




Blue Artland Glass goblets with wine charms attached were chosen for our drinks. Each wine charm has a patriotic theme.


White napkins with red napkins rings were placed at the settings. Tiny American flags were tucked into the napkin rings.



Hazel “Moderntone” salt and pepper shakers were used at one end of the table. Tiny red, white and blue star salt and pepper shakers were used at the other end.


I placed blue and red star votive holders down the center of the table and sprinkled patriotic confetti all around.

For the centerpiece, I used a pitcher from my pottery collection with a wonderful cobalt blue glaze. I placed cypress branches, sparkles and flags inside.


Leaning against the pitcher is one of my favorite books. It was given to me years ago by a friend and I pull it out every July 4th. It is The Spirit of America by Barbara Milo Ohrbach. It is a collection of recipes, quotes, poems and songs about America. The illustrations are charming and always put me in the spirit of this holiday.
I hope all of you remember the “Spirit of America” this year and have fun celebrating the birth of our nation. It is a special one and many thanks to all who have fought to keep us free!
Diane




Sharing at:

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lijit Search Wijit

Search Tablescape Times Three

Networked Blogs